Monday, August 15, 2011

Music and The Summer of 69' in Upstate, NY

 Woke up this morning with a vague sense of warm and pleasant nostalgia...

Couldn't figure out where it was coming from...
Had this overwhelming urge to put on some Joplin and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young..
And bam it hit me...
42 years ago today I was a young enthusiastic participant at Woodstock's 3 Days of Peace and music held at Max Yasgur's 600 acre diary farm...

I was at the tender, impressionable age of 16, when a group of my friends called up and said that we were piling into in a mini van and heading out a few hours away to a whole day of free music...
My mother was hesitant, but said I could go...
When we finally got there...it was the most amazing conglomeration of people, senses and sounds....
And then...we were told...that the impromtu "concert" was going to last three days, because so many bands had opted to perform...
And because basically there was no way in or out from that point on...
New York State Thruway was closed and all roads to and fro were blocked...
When I finally was able to get to a pay phone and call my mother, she didnt believe me...
When I got home, for the first time in my life, I was grounded for a month...
Was it worth it? You betcha it was...:)
(Just an aside, she lifted the grounding a few days later when she found out I was telling the truth about the traffic...:)

My experience at Woodstock that summer was probably one of the most single pivotal 3 days of my young life...
I was to be forever changed and challenged...
It was to formulate this "peace nick's" philosophy and mission in life...
And to only dig in further my intense love of the Music of that monumental time...

That summer of 1969...
That time of brother and sister hood and Love, Peace and Music will remain embedded in my Heart, Mind and Soul, as long as I draw breath and beyond...
That summer of 1969 and my time at Woodstock will remain encoded in my DNA throughout eternity...

"When you-ve seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." -George Harrison

"I'm the one who-s gonna die when it-s time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want." -Jimi Hendrix

"Hippy is an establishment label for a profound, invisible, underground, evolutionary process. For every visible hippy, barefoot, beflowered, beaded, there are a thousand invisible members of the turned-on underground. Persons whose lives are tuned in to their inner vision, who are dropping out of the TV comedy of American Life." -Timothy Leary

"There is absolutely no greater high than challenging the power structure as a nobody, giving it your all, and winning!" -Abbie Hoffman

"All we are saying is give peace a chance." -John Lennon

My mantra for today..."PEACE, LOVE AND ROCK AND ROLL!!!!"

ROCK ON WORLD!!!...
ROCK ON MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN THE LIGHT!!!!
ROCK ON!!!!!!!!!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment